Call us: National – 0800 046 1804 | London - 0207 523 5333

Why isn’t your pub, cafe or restaurant registered for the Eat Out to Help Out scheme?!

Home » blog » Why isn’t your pub, cafe or restaurant registered for the Eat Out to Help Out scheme?!


Our clients are largely part of the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors and we have just one question for you – why aren’t you registered with the Eat Out to Help Out scheme?!

By far the best way to welcome back your customers and attract new ones is to offer a discount to your diners and sing about the scheme from the rooftops.

How to register

All you need to do is qualify for the criteria and have the Government Gateway ID and password for your business.

‘You can register if your establishment:

  • is in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland
  • sells food for immediate consumption on the premises
  • provides its own dining area or shares a dining area with another establishment for eat-in meals
  • was registered as a food business with the relevant local authority on or before 7 July

You cannot register:

  • an establishment that only offers takeaway food or drink
  • catering services for private functions
  • a hotel that provides room service only
  • dining services (such as packaged dinner cruises)
  • mobile food vans or trailers

If your application is based on dishonest or inaccurate information, your registration will be revoked.’ – Who can register for the Eat Out to Help Out scheme

How does it actually work?

The scheme works on reimbursement and to qualify you must keep records of the total number people who have used the scheme, the total value of transactions under the scheme and the total amount of discount given in the period you’re claiming for.

Once you’ve gone through the stages of registration you are instantly recognised as part of the scheme and your establishment will appear on the Government search function. Incidentally, if you are registering for 26 or more establishments, you will not need to register each one individually, but if you’re registering 25 or less, be prepared to spend a bit of time on the computer.

Once registered, take a note of your registration reference number for when you claim back your reimbursement, the first of which must be at least one week after registration and can be done via this link:

There is full guidance on, along with links giving advice on the test and trace service and financial support for your business.

Financial support for hospitality, retail and leisure businesses

Enjoy the next few weeks of increased foot-fall and if you’d like some help with business funding and cost reduction we have solutions that will help you access the funds already available to you. Take a look at our website pages, or call us on 0800 0461804 to discover how we can help you smile.

Posted on